Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Day of the Child

So I've mentioned before that we go to the library every week for storytime. Well, a few weeks back they were advertising for this special program to take place at a local school, sponsored by the libary, called "The Day of the Child." In the flyer they described crafts, storytelling, puppet shows, etc., and I thought it sounded like a worthwhile event so I made a note that we would go. Well, I guess I didn't really read all the fine print on this brochure, which my husband would heartily attribute to the fact that I never read directions. I mean, honestly, do we really need directions to anything? If they can't make something that you can just look at and put together then I don't want it. As a friend of mine used to say, "I just can't be bothered" and so that is how I feel about directions. But perhaps it does get me into trouble sometimes. Anyways, so we got to this event and I quickly realized why I didn't read the whole flyer on the event - it was in Spanish. And basically what it said was that this event was for the Latino community. Oops. Okay, my tow-headed little ones really stood out like sore thumbs and I felt sort of silly being one of like 10 white people in a whole gym full of Spanish-speaking Latinos. Nevertheless, we were there and so I wasn't just going to run away like a scared chicken. I just smiled a lot (which I do when I'm nervous) and we sat down in front of the storyteller and listened to like 30 minutes of storytelling and puppet shows, very little of which we understood because it was all in Spanish. My kids nevertheless didn't seem to notice that they were having trouble understanding and sat intently. The proof was in the pudding though as the next day my 4 year old was dancing around her room shouting a whole slew of Spanish words in a completely nonsensical way, "Mucho gracias, uno, dos, tres" Something like that, you get the idea. I guess for those of us who don't like to read instructions, maybe an interpreter sometimes is okay...

2 comments:

Diana said...

You're hillarious! I love that your kiddos still paid attention even though it was in a completely different language!! And I agree-directions are overrated.

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome story. Thanks for the good giggle.