Sunday, August 21, 2011

Homeschool 101
























A random assortment of pictures from late. Above is from the water park we went to a few weeks ago. I had a baby shower at my house for another girl. Just wanted to show off the table thanks to my friend, Rachel, who helped me with the decorations. I made these tiny little cheesecake cupcakes which were yum-O! Finally, peaches from our backyard and huckleberries we've been picking up in the woods. Sweet Boy and I made some huckleberry jam that we are going to enter in next year's fair. Let's see, the Hubby had a birthday (no pictures) - we had the missionaries and our neighbors over for the birthday dinner. It was fun. The Hubby got a new calling- elder's quorum president. Life is about to get busy! Hunting season starting and a new baby on the way........and on top of it all, I finally made the decision to homeschool, at least Twinkle Toes for the next year (2nd grade). Beyond that, I won't say. This is a decision that I have been struggling with for probably more than a year, as I felt it was something I should do. Being a product of public schools myself, it has really gone against everything I know to make this decision. But I've been in a local Christian homeschool group now, and have been following them and seeing what they do, and see so many benefits that I really want to try it out. So anyways, here goes. I am excited to not have to fight and cajole to get her up and out the door in the morning. I am excited to be able to have scripture study as well as academics and incorporate Christian literature into her curriculum. I'm excited to be able to do some character development studies in addition to math, spelling, reading, etc. These are just some things I've felt on my heart that are missing in traditional education and I think in a way, we do our kids a disservice sending them out most of the day without arming them with more than just "academics." So I'm going to give it a try. I know you can and should do these things even with traditional school in the picture, but we have found it hard to fit it all in. My oldest seems to be so impressionable by her peers and I think having her close at home for now is going to be a good thing for her. We are working on attitude and she is learning to help out around the house. We are going to try to be involved in this Christian homeschool group too, and do some field trips with them. I definitely feel like I am stepping out into the unknown with this, but I trust that my decision has been made in faith with the Spirit prodding me. Personally, I am a little bit excited to be able to have more control over our schedule, so since we have been homeschooling all summer, when the baby comes in October we are going to take a little "vacation" from school. I think this will be nice to not have so much running around then with running kids back and forth to school. With working at home, this has really been a huge problem for me. I know it sounds dumb, but in some ways it's just easier for me to stay home and not drop them off at school. Sweet Boy, however, is going to school this year. I am going to start him in Kindergarten and we'll evaluate his situation later. ONE year at a time, I guess. He is a such a different kid. I'm just trying to follow my instincts with each one.

No comments: