So this is my garden in June! So Valley goers just ignore this post because this probably won't impress you, but I have to say this is the best garden I have ever had. Gardening in Central Oregon, for me anyways, has been challenging at best. What with late frosts in the Spring, early frosts in the Fall, and the junkiest soil I have ever seen, my gardens usually don't look this good until September and then they don't look even quite this good. But necessity breeds invention, so this year I was determined to have a better garden. For one, I planted in late April/early May, well before the last frost, which is something I never do. So I covered it religiously at night along with planting mostly cold-tolerant stuff. The other thing I did this year which I never do is manured. Thanks to my gardening buddy Jason for your manure...ha. And on top of that I put compost. Then I planted successively every few weeks to hopefully get more of a continuous crop, which I am usually too lazy to do. We have had a pretty wet spring too, so I'm sure that has helped. The other thing I did this year with my tomatoes, of course trying to buy the tallest one I could find (3 feet tall) is planting them in pots so I could bring them inside if I needed to. I have never had much luck with tomatoes here because it usually frosts way too early, but I have yet to see how this will turn out. I do have lots of green tomatoes right now so we will see....
Sunday, June 28, 2009
BlogRoll 6/28/09
---
Twinkle Toes has been sick all weekend. We went to a Hullabaloo Friday night and she got sick there and ran fever of 103 all night and Saturday too. She had all the typical flu symptoms so we did call the doctor and after speaking with them we're pretty sure she doesn't have the swine flu...thank goodness! They said if she had a fever of more than a 105 for several days then maybe worry. But thankfully it's Sunday and she is feeling much much better today and no fever. We just hope the rest of us don't get it! Mackenzie is reading a ton now, she's probably reading on a first-grade level but I'm not exactly sure. We have these Think-it-Through Sets of problems that she just loves so the other day she came to me wanting to do the one on Math. It was like subtraction problems, 8-5=? and so forth. So I taught her to count them out on her fingers and then take them away, so now she can do subtraction. She amazes me with what she can do.
---
Sweet Boy is going through the Naughty Terrible 3's. I'm looking forward to Age 4 with him. I'm having to practice alot of patience with him right now. His punishment is we put him up on the dresser and he has to sit there when he is being naughty. He hates it. It's working I guess.
---
Today has been a great Sunday. It's always a nice holy day of rest and today was especially so. I got two naps for one, so I am feeling like I can conquer the world. We had a really nice Family Home Evening with the kids, read our scriptures, then had a good family council with the hubby. I sat in the sun for a bit. I'm ready to conquer a new week and get ready for the Morrison Reunion this weekend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am JEALOUS of your beautiful garden. Mine is just pitiful this year:( Maybe it will surprise me and growgrowgrow in July??
Jodie....I am soooo impressed!
I didn't even know a garden would grow here, dang, I guess I can't use that excuse anymore!! you are an amazing woman Jodie Morrison!! 3 little kids, driving to Portland for tests, in the primary presidency and still have time to plant a garden!!! And a dang good one!!! Wow. I might stop by some day and get some tips and see what you're growing!
Post a Comment