Okay, so I don't share recipes too often.....but I stumbled upon this recipe in my "Backwoods Home" magazine...totally hippie magazine for people who want to get back to the basics! And it's great....it's reignited this new passion in me for the art of baking bread. So I'm kind of on a kick about it and thought I would share. The key to this recipe is the dough rises for 12-18 hours so what I've learned is that this long rising period allows the flavor of the flour to really come through. Also, you cook the bread in a dutch oven inside your oven, so it heats really even.
2.25 c. white AP flour
1.5 c. it says graham flour, I don't know what that is so I used spelt, but you could use wheat.
1.5 tsp. kosher salt
0.25 tspn yeast
1 T brown sugar
10.5 oz. spring H2O
The low amt of yeast allows it to rise for such a long period. So, the night before mix everything into a shaggy ball of dough. Cover bowl with plastic wrap 8-18 hours.
The next day place parchment paper in a stainless steel bowl, spray paper with PAM, work the dough 10-12 times and form into a ball then let dough double in size. Doubles after ~2-3 hours.
Place Dutch oven/lid in oven and preheat to 500 degrees. Turn oven down to 425 degrees and then put dough and parchment paper (carefully so it doesn't cause the dough to sink) in the Dutch oven. Cook covered 30 minutes at 425 degrees. Remove lid and then cook 5 or so minutes with lid off until it is deep brown.
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Overnight Wheat Artisan Bread
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm making it! Yum!
Post a Comment