Thursday, October 2, 2008

If you want to get something done.....

in the hospital apparently displaying a little hysteria helps. Maybe hysteria is not quite the right word. Let's just say post partum is really setting in now and I have been very "emotional" the last week. I called Gracie's nurse yesterday morning to get the update and of course, it was the same answer. They were not able to wean her off the IV at all. She was doing a little better on her feedings though. So I got all teared up and crying and told the nurse that I just wanted our little girl to come home and I was torn between needing to be home with my other kids and there with Gracie. She was very understanding and said she would talk to the kidney doctors and have them call me back. Well, they haven't called me back yet but when we called again yesterday evening for the daily report the nurse said that they had her completely weaned off of the IV medication. Whoa. They had been trying to do that for days! Apparently, they added a 3rd oral medication to her list and took her off the IV completely. I'm sure that nurse must have gone and told those doctors a little thing or two. Something like this, "hey, you've got a post partum mom over the edge. You need to quit staring at the monitors and get this little girl out of here." Anyways, all I know is that it is progress and one step closer to getting her out of there. I know they still have to monitor her quite a bit more and make sure the medication is going to control her blood pressure.

So the plan for right now is that we are going back up to Portland tomorrow, Friday, with our kids. I think it is important for them to be with us because they are really homesick right now and to see this mysterious little girl that they have heard so much about but have yet to see. I know they are confused. Sometimes they pray for Gracie and sometimes they pray for Mommy to get better. They don't really understand. They just know somebody is not doing well. Hopefully we will be able to get another room at the Ronald McDonald house and just maybe Grace will get released sometime next week.

3 comments:

Zach 'n' Jack said...

Oh, I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through. Don't be afraid to use your Mom-intuition, post-partum and all!! Sometimes it does good to get a little assertive/emotional and fight for our sweet little ones. Good luck, and once again, if you need anything, let me know! Love ya! - Jackie

christina said...

You go girl!!!
You have to fight for your child!!! You have that intuition and it is ok to use it. I am sure the kids are confused because if I remember right you have not left them at all hardly. So yes they are confused but kids are so resiliant. I hope there is room at the inn for you guys. I also hope and pray that grace can come home where she belongs and be moniterd here locally. Keep up the good work, you are going great. We are still praying every day for a quick recovery!
Love you guys!!
Christina

Shonda said...

If you can't get an extra room at the McDolnald House, please call, or email. We've got room here, and we're not far away. Also, if you want a house to crash at, and watch conference...it will be playing on the TV here.