After leaving the blog hanging for a couple of days, it has taken me this long to really be able to come back here and post. For those of you who aren't already aware, Grace's surgery was not successful. The surgeons were unable to remove her tumor because it was attached to some of the major blood vessels in her body, namely the aorta and the vena cava. This is very serious. So they were only able to take a biopsy of the tumor.
After waiting 4 days at home for this news, the report came back today from the pathologists/oncologists. Grace's tumor isn't cancer. It is benign. However, because of the way it is behaving, having already moved into some of the major blood vessels of her body, they basically have to treat it as if it were cancer. The simplest treatment, in this case, which is almost always curable is just resecting the tumor or removing it, however, this is not an option right now with the way the tumor is.
So my little Grace started chemotherapy today and will be having 3 rounds of it over the next 3 weeks. The hope is that they can shrink the tumor enough with the drugs and then go in and do another surgery to take the tumor out. It is our hope that this will work.
Please, please, please join us in giving lots of faith-filled prayers that this technique will work and that Heavenly Father will see fit to spare my little Grace a little longer so that we can have the chance to know her. I am ever hopeful for a healing miracle but am still ever mindful that the time may come to relinguish control and accept whatever plan God has in store for Grace. After dealing with so much anguish the last week, I pray my heart does not have to face that.
My Mom and I are heading back to Portland on Wednesday, leaving Hubert to fend a few days with the kids. Mom is flying back to TN on Saturday. I am hoping my friends can help Hubert out for a couple of days with Mackenze and Caleb so that he can go to work.
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Mesoblastic Nephroma
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
We'll be sending many, many prayers Grace's way. Know that your family has many people who care for you and have grown to love Grace already!
thank you for the post, and update. I don't know where you find the strenth to even type. It sounds like you are rising to the calling of being the mother of a baby girl, who's fragile health needs the faith, strength, knowledge, and love that you have. Those are qualities that I have always admired in you. Grace and your family will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.
You probably don't know me - I'm one of your mom's cousins, Donna Roost (Stephens). Another cousin just sent this to me. We will keep beautiful baby Grace in our prayers and for the rest of your beautiful family.
You guys have already risen to the occasion with your faith, strength, and love, and I know you will continue to do so. We are all keeping Grace and the whole family in our thoughts and prayers. We send you all many hugs.
Hi Jodie,
I can help watch the kids today or Thursday if you need. We are taking the youth on a temple trip on Friday and I am also available on Sat. if needed. I can also help out next week as well. As a family we have been praying and concentrating our fast for Grace and the rest of the family. The roller coaster you are on just plain stinks. I hope you can soon get off of it and enjoy the new baby from home. We love you!!!
Jodie,
I agree with Shonda, I am not sure how you can even manage to type, right now. I am crying just reading this. Your family is in my prayers and if there is anything (even here in Corvallis) that I can do for you please let me know. There are so many of us down here who love you guys, that anything we can do, you just have to say.
Love,
The Carleskis
We are all hoping and praying with you that this works. You have all been through so much but don't lose hope. Take care of yourself. I will gladly help Hubert with whatever he needs, watching kids, driving to school, meals, etc. just call. A.
Oh Jodi...what do I say? You are an amazing example to me. We pray for Grace everyday. My girls always remember to pray for little Grace. I wish we could do more..... just know we love you and praying for your family.
Love,
Stef and Jonathan
Post a Comment