Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Next Step

Well, I'm sure most of you have guessed by now that we didn't get the news we had hoped for on Grace's MRI. The tumor is unchanged so it seems that the chemotherapy is not working for her. Friday was, of course, not a good day and I just didn't feel like blogging more bad news. Argh. Today was tumor board meeting and the surgeons and oncologists all met today to discuss Grace's case. There were about 20 doctors in the room I am told and they basically all came to the same consensus - the tumor must come out. Given her high blood pressures, they just don't see continuing on with treatment as a viable option. I was expecting that and I guess in some way I am relieved although scared. This week they are going to get an MRA which will outline the arteries and veins. They are going to review all of her films and make a plan on how to get the tumor out. This time around hopefully they will be a little more prepared for all of the blood loss that will likely occur. They are alerting the blood bank now. She will likely have to have several transfusions. They said all of the pediatric surgeons will be there - there are 3 of them along with a transplant surgeon. So it's a pretty big deal for such a tiny little person. Please pray for Grace! We don't know when the surgery will take place but it is likely going to be after Thanksgiving sometime next week. We'll report more when we know. Maybe we can bring our little girl home soon.

Hopefully this will cure her, but maybe it will only just buy her time. I don't really know. I'm sure it could go either way. You never imagine petitioning with Heavenly Father to just give you a little more time with your child. I think we could be happy though even if it just gave us time to know her.

As far as scheduling goes, we're planning on being in Portland this weekend, and then most likely I will be staying through the week.

5 comments:

Heather Messinger said...

Oh, I am so scared and excited for you. Let me know what you need. If you want me to come to Portland to sit with you during the surgery I can do that to. We are praying for you guys. Love you.

Diane said...

We are praying that all will be well and the medical teams can preform the miracle so we all can see little Grace. What a beautiful girl she is.....our love and best wishes for your strengths. We have been in your shoes with an infant having major surgery. So scary. Much love, Diane and Bob

Kate the Great said...

We will fast for you and your sweet angel that day! I know that the Lord is mindful of what your family needs right now, and will certainly do what is best.

I can hardly imagine what you are going through right now, but am so glad that you are finding the strength that you need.

Please let us know if there is ANYTHING that you need, we in Corvallis love you!

The Cs

Anonymous said...

I'm Kiley's sister and I have been following your blog. We are praying for you out here in Wyoming.

Raina said...

Hello, I'm Raina, Shonda's sister, and I have kept up with you for a little bit. I am praying for you, sweet Grace, your family, and strength to get through this time. I will be anxiously awaiting the next few weeks!