Just an update for today....that Grace is tolerating her 4th week of chemotherapy very well. The nurses said that she slept very well last night. I was a little worried because of the stronger drug that has been added on. It took about 3-4 hours last night just to administer all the drugs. They had to super hydrate her in order to protect the bladder from the one "hit me with your best shot" drug.
By the time this is all done, she will probably be sleeping all the way through the night, so I will probably miss out on all those midnight feedings.
Today, Grace seems her normal self. No real nausea that I can tell. She is a champion nurser, as the doctors are saying. Today she has just nursed and not had to have anything down the tube. So that is a relief that she is doing so well. We have cuddled a lot today and she seems very content to eat and then fall asleep in my arms. I kiss her a lot now. Before I was a little too afraid to get too close, but that is wearing off and we are able to snuggle more despite all the mass of spaghetti tubes attached to her. The one strong drug may compromise her immune system but we won't know for a week or so. Her nurse and I may give her a bath later on today.
Several of the nurses here have sort of endeared themselves to Grace. So that is nice that when I am gone they are giving her extra love. And the doctors too. The oncologists were teasing me that they sit around and discuss Grace quite a lot, so she is not forgotten even though they are at Doernbecher and she is one building over at OHSU in the NICU. It is so unusual for all of them to see a baby on chemotherapy - they all seem to be rooting hard for her.
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Week 4 Chemotherapy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
sounds like she is doing so amazing and you too! I'm so glad she is nursing so well, what a blessing to you both! That is my favorite part of having little babies, I love nursing them, it's such a special time. Good luck, keep going strong!
So glad Gracie's tolerating the higher doses so well! It must be all the probiotic natural stuff you're drinking...which is still wanting to make me gag thank you very much :) See you soon!
I am so glad she is nursing. Even in the best circumstances I couldn't get my babies to nurse. Hope to see you soon. The first part of Thanksgiving week and the weekend before I will be in Portland. I would love to come and see you there. Give you something to do during the day when you are not visiting Gracie.
Post a Comment