Thursday, December 11, 2008

12/11/08

Well I suppose my readers need an update. I am starting to get passive aggressive. We are so close to coming home so I feel the need to start bugging them now. So I posed the question today about WHEN.....and they said it wouldn't be the weekend. When I mentioned Monday or Tuesday they didn't say NO, but that's all I really have right now. I was only a LITTLE upset when they put the feeding tube down her nose yesterday. For some reason, this particular nurse must have forgotten that Grace is nearly 3 months old. Holy cow. I think feeding is not a worry. So I spent all of today just nursing and she got full feeds, so hopefully this will convince those silly nurses that indeed we do NOT need a feeding tube. It was a new nurse to Grace and I guess she wasn't aware at what a great nurser Grace is. She is back to her old self in that respect. I miss our regular nurses - we have all new ones this week. They are too used to preemies. They say they almost never have big babies like Grace. Most of the babies here go home when they reach 5 pounds. So basically the only thing keeping us here is ONE tube of IV nicardipine. Yeah, she's back on the blood pressure meds. Her blood pressures are still a little high, but they think that in time they will improve. Sometimes it takes the kidney a while before it realizes it doesn't have to work so hard. So the doctors just need to get her on some p.o. izradipine that we can go home on. So I am pushing for them to hurry up and get that done because Grace is all done with the fun. I mean Ronald McDonald is so nice, we have had so much attention from everyone here, but enough is enough. Can you tell I am getting impatient? I noticed today that Grace is starting to get rolls of skin now in her abdomen from where the tumor used to be. That is so nice to see. Grace was very peaceful today. She didn't cry really at all and she smiled a lot at me. She kind of laughs or coos now. The nurses wanted her to sleep but she didn't sleep at all today. Again, I think they are forgetting that she is nearly 3 months old and she just doesn't want to sleep anymore in the daytime. She is so bored with this place! Oh and I did get the word today from the doctors that Grace won't be having more chemotherapy. They just want to check her with an MRI in about 3 months and over the next year. Good news, I think!

7 comments:

Amy said...

Wahoo! I am just getting so very excited. I love you all and am really impressed and amazed with all your strength and faith.

Sean and Melissa said...

You are doing so well! I would be a lot more impatient I think. Our prayers are always with you. I was wondering if you could send me your address? You can email it to me or Sean at missie2182@hotmail.com or n5322@hotmail.com

The Shepro's said...

You tell them girl! I know that Southern Bell will do what she must to get what she needs done! If I've learned anything living out here in the midwest it is that Southern Woman always get what they want:) Love you sooo soooo sooo soo sooooooooo much. I Check on you every night before bed. We are here with ya!

Shonda said...

Yes, that's good news. Really Great news, Jodie! Yes, she is coming up on three months, huh? Do we need to get some three month pictures? Or, are you going to save those three month pics for IN YOUR HOUSE!!!!! Won't that be amazing. Let me know if you want some three month pics. I think I'll be getting the two month pics into the mail early next week.

Heather Messinger said...

Yeah. I've noticed that the nurses are not the ones who make the decisions most of the time. If you are going to push, take it to the top. I know she has multiple doctors but don't let them do anything unless the doctor say's they have too.

Tiffiny said...

What great news! Hopefully she will be home with you soon.

Carla Sperber said...

Jodie,
I have been checking your blog for progress on Gracie since you gave me your address. I want to say thank you for sharing this personal information with me. Sometimes friends and especially acquaintances of people going through such horrendous trials feel so helpless on the sidelines. We wait and watch, hope against all odds, we hold our breath, and wish for a shred of good news. When I feel as though there's nothing I can do to help.....then I am reminded that prayer for a family that is going through such tests is the single very best thing that anyone can do! I know first hand that there is such tremendous power in prayer! I just want you to know that you, your family, and your new baby Gracie are in my prayers each day. I do believe that through your own prayers and through the prayers of so many people out there (some who don't know you well, or even at all) God in eternity past is answering right now! Gracie is a living miracle...and what an amazing strong little girl God gave to you! We may not know right now all the lessons she has been sent here to teach, but one thing is for sure there is great purpose in God's plan for the life of your beautiful baby girl.
I am at the pre-school a lot playing with all the kids, (even when it's not my parent helper day) just because I love it there. So I just want you to know that I have been trying to give McKenzie special attention every time I see her. I know she too has had a rough go of it with having to share so much of her mommy's time. Some days she doesn't seem happy to be there, especially on those days I make a point to engage her until I work a smile or a giggle out of her, she is such a doll!
My wish for you (as is I am sure from everyone you know) is that Gracie will come home for Christmas and will be on her way to a long and healthy life on this earth! Godspeed to you and your family!
Carla Sperber (Jessica and Nicholas' mommy)