Monday, December 1, 2008

Amazing Grace

Oh how sweet the sound. They got the tumor out......It's 2:30 p.m. Grace has been in surgery for about 4.5-5.5 hours. Things went well. They took the bad kidney out, the tumor, and the adrenal gland. They were done at Noon, and started to close her up but the pathology report came back that there was still tumor, so they went back in and had to do a total resection on the vena cava, which means they took part of the vena cava out. There was quite a lot of blood loss but they had been giving her blood transfusions 2 days prior to surgery so she was all pink and filled up with extra blood before the surgery. She looks pretty good post surgery. She will still get more blood transfusions tonight.

The surgeon seemed well pleased with the surgery. It's by no means a cure, but it's a very good start. They seemed well pleased that they got as much as they could possibly get. Time will only tell if the tumor comes back. She will most certainly get postop chemotherapy and perhaps monthly MRI's for a year to monitor it. But I am pretty sure we can deal with that.

We are so happy.

My friend Shonda came this morning and passed the time with me until noon. The day has flown rather than dragged. The night nurse who is so in love with Grace was on the unit all night with her taking pictures and having the most fabulous fashion show with all the goodies she bought for her. So she armed me this morning with a bag of scrapbooking stuff of hers and a ton of photos of Gracie and sent me off to do my "homework" as she called it. And the day nurse, who is also terribly enamored with Grace, scrubbed in and went to surgery with her just so she could keep an eye on things.

From the Bible Dictionary, we know that the main idea of the word "GRACE" is "divine means of help or strength, given through the bounteous mercy and love of Jesus Christ."

We also read in the Bible dictionary that "The miracles of healing also show how the law of love is to deal with the actual facts of life. Miracles were and are a response to faith, and its best encouragement. They were never wrought without prayer, felt need, and faith."

We are so grateful for all of your prayers on behalf of Gracie. We got our miracle today.

16 comments:

Shonda said...

oh, tears, tears, tears of JOY!

Heather Messinger said...

I am so Happy for you guys and Grace. And for all who know, love, and have been praying for you. I am so excited that the surgery went well. NOW when do you and Gracie get to come home?

j and k said...

I am so grateful the surgery went so well! You were in our thoughts and prayers today! Now, we'll be routing for Grace that all will go well with chemo and all. I hope you get to go home quickly and enjoy your darling family! Get some rest after such a day!

Steve, Amy and Company said...

Hurray! We are so THRILLED that things went so well! What a strong and special little girl. We've been thinking about you guys all day. We'll continue to send our love and prayers your way!

alisha said...

Oh, happy day, happy day! So grateful things have gone well. Continued prayers for a quick recovery from surgery and movement to the next step. A.

Zach 'n' Jack said...

hallelujah...... i am so happy, i can't even say.

Diana said...

Thank you for the update! So so so glad to hear that all has gone so well! Hope to see you Wednesday!

Peggy Glasmann said...

With tears we tell you again how much we love you. We LOVE the good news!! What a blessing. Hurray!!!

Raina said...

whew!! What a joyous day for you. This is the best news! Hurray!!!! The road ahead seems doable after all this.

Jason Young said...

What fabulous news you guys!!

Mandy

Jocelyn said...

I have chills. I'm so happy for you guys. It's so wonderful to have good news!

christina said...

Great News Jodie!!!
I am sorry I havent posted for a While, My computer bit the big one...I share the same feelings as the others when I say that Gracie has given our family prayers more meaning. Our Children give the most heartfelt prayers for Gracie and the Rest of the family. They all gave a big cheer at dinner when I gave them the update on Grace. I think we are officially healthy again at our house, so I can help out in anyway that I can again. Please let me know. Great job on staying so strong and positive not only for Grace but for your family and friends as well. We love you..
Christina

Wetzel Family said...

Dear Hubert and Jodie,
Our hearts are so full of gratitude and joy. Our Father in Heaven has granted you a miracle.
When my children were little once we had car trouble as we started on our way to church, instead of staying home, they begged me to say a prayer so we could make it to church. After the prayer was said, the car started. They cheered, "Hurray!" I thought they were cheering for me, but they went on to say again, "Hurray for Heavenly Father!" I think this is another "Hurray for Heavenly Father!" There is much to be grateful for.

Love,
Vicky

Tiffiny said...

Great news! I have shed so many tears for you guys! Now they are tears of joy! What a blessing Grace is. Hopefully she is on the road to a normal, healthy life.

The Shepro's said...

Our family has been following your story and praying for you. WE LOVE you guys so much and think of you OFTEN! All day yesterday my spirit was pleading with the Lord for comfort and miracles to be sent your way. Your experience has inspired friends of mine here in Iowa who I have shared it with as they face similar trials and heartaches. You are an example to others as you move faithfully through this time. Sending lots of love and prayers your way...The Shepro's PS if there is anything we can do please let us know! We would like to help somehow:)

Allanna said...

YAAAAY!!!!!

I love when prayers are answered. And I love that your daughter is loved by so, so many people.

I'm so glad that the surgery went well. Hopefully you'll be able to take her home soon. *crosses fingers for luck*

I hope that this is a great start to a wonderful holiday!!